What is Hemp Seed Oil?
As the name implies, hemp seed oil is derived from the seeds of the hemp plant and contains no cannabinoids. Hemp seed oil is no different from any other vegetable oil but its unique characteristics makes it stand out for certain health benefits in both humans and animals. It is high in Omega 3, 6 and GLA with an ideal ratio of 3:1 of Omega 6 to Omega 3.
Benefits of Hemp Seed Oil for Pets
- Soothes Stiff Joints - Omega 3 & 6 are proven to help soothe stiff joints which is why hemp seed oil and its unrivalled essential fatty acid content is superior in aiding joints.
- Helps Mobility - It helps mobility by lubricating the joint and neutralising free radicals thanks to the antioxidant properties provided by Vitamin C & E.
- Boosts Energy Levels - Hemp seed oil is one of the few natural sources of gamma linolenic acid (GLA) which tends to increase energy levels, making your pet more likely to stay active and avoid obesity.
- Increases Metabolism - GLA also helps the metabolism to burn fat and gives a sense of fullness. This means your pet eats less, thus reducing the risk of growing overweight.
- Improves Skin & Coat - Hemp seed oil can help to deliver much needed moisture and nutrients to your pets skin from the inside. Moisturised, healthy skin also leads to a soft, shiny and beautiful coat which is a good indicator of overall pet health.
Is Hemp Seed Oil safe for pets?
As mentioned further above in the article Hemp Seed Oil is essentially a vegetable oil which is being used as a health supplement for it's high vitamin and mineral content. It's no different from any other form of natural supplement in a sense that as long as you feed it to your pet in the correct quantities, there should be no issues. The only known side effects for pets from using hemp seed oil is an upset stomach that may lead to nausea and/or diarrhoea. This predominately comes from not following feeding recommendations and over excessively overfeeding your pet. The popularity of Hemp Seed Oil for pets is rising as a vegan alternative to fish oils such as Salmon & Cod Liver Oil.
Organic: We recommend opting for an organic Hemp Seed Oil as it should not contain pesticides, solvents or fungicides.
How much Hemp Seed Oil should i give my pet (per day)?
Dogs: We recommend 5ml of Hemp Seed Oil for every 10kg of your dogs body weight. E.g. If your dog weighs 15kg, we recommend you feed them 7.5ml per day.
Cats: We recommend 1.25ml of Hemp Seed Oil per day regardless of their body weight.
Directions: Shake well before use. Pour over usual meal, gradually introduce over 7 days. Pour with great care to avoid product wastage. Always supply ample drinking water.
Important: If you go slightly over the feeding recommendations please do not worry. To reiterate what has been said throughout this article, Hemp Seed Oil is a 100% natural product and it would take excessive over feeding to cause an upset stomach.
If you've gotten this far down the article and you have decided you want to give Hemp Seed Oil a go for your pet, please see below why we believe our Hemp Seed Oil is the best choice for you.
- 100% Pure - Undiluted
- Human Food Grade
- Cold Pressed
- Additive, Chemical & Preservative-Free
- Vegan Friendly
- Ethically Sourced from the Netherlands
- Eco-Friendly Pouch Packaging
How to Pour our Hemp Seed Oil for Pets
We are not nutritionists, vets nor are we qualified to give out professional medical advise to you regarding your pet. The information above has been researched, complied and presented for your benefit.